With the release of the new Canada’s Food Guide we are getting questions about Whole Grains. It is suggested we choose whole grain foods because they have important nutrients such as fibre. vitamins & minerals. A great tip is, when you read the ingredient list and choose foods that have the word “whole grain” followed by the name of the grain as one of the first ingredients like whole grain oats and whole grain wheat. Whole wheat foods are not whole grain, but can still be a healthy choice as they do contain fibre.
Try this whole grain pancake recipe in your KES Club this week:
Banana Whole Grain Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole grain flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Skim milk
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose and whole grain flours, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and soda and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, mash bananas with fork until very mushy. Stir in eggs until combined. Add milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla and stir together until well combined. Pour over flour mixture and stir until moistened.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Pour about 60 mL (¼ cup) of the batter onto pan and cook for about 3 minutes or until small bubbles start to appear on top.
- Flip and cook another 1 to 2 minutes or until golden on the other side.
- Repeat in batches with remaining batter.