School is out for the summer! Kids are excited and the sun is shining which makes it all the better for celebrating our graduates today. We hope all students, parents, teachers & volunteers have a safe and fun summer holiday. Stay tuned to our blog all summer long for some great healthy summer recipes for road trips, picnics and camping. In celebration of summer try this refreshing watermelon salad at your backyard celebrations today!
Watermelon Pecan Salad
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (if no allergies)
- 5 cups seeded and cubed watermelon
- 1 package spinach thoroughly washed
- Vinaigrette dressing
- 1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes or until completely cool.
- Combine watermelon and spinach in a large bowl; add vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat. Transfer watermelon mixture to a serving platter, and sprinkle evenly with pecans and cheese.
Recipe & Image sourced from: https://www.southernliving.com/syndication/watermelon-mche-pecan-salad
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.