This is a great recipe to try at your Kids Eat Smart Club this month. Prepare the french toast ahead of time and get the kids involved in putting the fruit and french toast on the sticks. You will be amazed by how excited the kids get over fruit and french toast – just for the simple fact it’s on a stick. Many clubs are looking for a special year end breakfast – and this could be just the recipe for that. Serving fruit in fun ways can get kids to try fruit they may not have tried before. Try this recipe this month at your KES Club.
French Toast Sticks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups multigrain or whole wheat sandwich bread, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 16 strawberries, stems removed
- 2 bananas, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
- wooden skewers
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, honey and cinnamon.
- Dip the bread cubes in the milk mixture to coat each side.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat and cook the bread for 1 1/2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Skewer the french toast cubes, strawberries and bananas and serve with maple syrup for dipping.
Recipe & Image sourced from: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/french-toast-on-a-stick-51262420
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.