Many kids are having fun at Easter camps all this week. That means many parents are busy packing a full day of snacks and lunches for kids to enjoy. As with schools, most camps have a healthy eating policy in place and encourage parents to pack healthy items for kids to have during their fun and busy days. The more whole foods the better – whole fruits and veggies are best! Here are some healthy snacks to try this week at Easter camp:
Healthy Snack Ideas
- Vegetables and a low fat dip
- Fresh fruit and veggies already cut and cleaned are always a great choice
- Fruit cups packed in water
- Whole grain crackers with cheese or peanut butter (if allowed)
- Trail mix that includes granola, dried berries, dry cereal and a variety of nuts (if allowed)
- Bowl of fruit with yogurt – sprinkle some granola for extra energy and fiber (seek nut free granola if allergies)
- Homemade muffins made with whole grain flour
- Baggies of dried whole grain cereals
- Pre-popped popcorn
Always be sure to check with your camp operator for allergies when sending snacks to camp.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.