We encourage all of our KES Clubs to serve fruits and vegetables each and every day. This includes fresh, frozen and canned fruits and veggies. Frozen and canned fruits are just as nutritious or even more nutritious than fresh! Many times in rural parts of our Province, we cannot access fresh fruit for extended periods of time, so we especially encourage these KES Clubs to stock up on frozen and canned fruits throughout the year. Stocking up on frozen fruits when they are on sale allows clubs to make smoothies on a regular basis. Check out this recipe below to serve at your KES Club this week:
Frozen Fruit Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, raspberries, or cherries
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey or to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.
- Cooks note: For non-dairy smoothies, substitute 1 cup rice milk for the milk and yogurt. Or, use soy yogurt or milk instead of dairy.
Some information sourced from: http://www.easternhealth.ca/WebInWeb.aspx?d=1&id=2227&p=379
To read more about Fresh, Frozen and Canned ideas for fruits and veggies from the Eastern Health campaign check out the site above .
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.