Having a warm breakfast can be a great start to a child’s day! What could be nicer then a warm bowl of cereal to start your day on these cold and rainy mornings. Some of our KES Clubs serve oatmeal on a regular basis. All you’ll need are simple ingredients and a stove top to get things going. Be sure to allow the cereal to cool before serving especially for the younger kids. Here’s a simple recipe to serve at home or at your KES Club this week:
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 medium strawberry, 1 slice cut crosswise off top, remaining portion cut in half lengthwise
- 2 round slices banana, plus 4 matchstick slices
- 2 blueberries
- Bring milk and oats to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook, stirring often, until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in syrup (or honey). Transfer to a bowl.
- Decorate the oatmeal to resemble a cat face using strawberry slices, banana slices and blueberries.
If you don’t want to use rolled oats you could go with instant oatmeal, just be sure to pay attention to the added sugar in these packages, the lower the sugar added the better.
Recipe sourced from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/258646/kitty-cat-oatmeal-bowl/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.