Sometimes the thought of serving 200 pancakes at your KES Club can seem overwhelming. I found this easy recipe that can help alleviate a lot of the flipping and making of that many pancakes. Making pancakes in bulk on sheet pans can allow you to make up to 24 pancakes per sheet pan, depending on the size (the bigger the better). You can try these at home or if your KES Club has access to a kitchen with stoves this a great option for baking a warm breakfast for the children attending your KES Club.
Fruity Sheet Pan Pancakes
- 1/4 cup – butter, unsalted
- 2/3 cup – milk
- 1/2 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 large – egg
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 medium – banana
- 1/2 cup – strawberries
- 1/2 cup – blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425* F. Cover a 10×15 inch sheet pan in foil. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a microwave safe dish and brush half of it over the foil, coating evenly.
- In a medium bowl, pour the remaining half of the melted butter (2 tablespoons). Also add milk, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add this mixture to the wet mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the pancake batter into the prepared sheet pan and even the batter out. Top with half a banana, cut into thin slices, as well as 1 total cup of berries (we used half strawberry, cut into slices, and half blueberry).
- Bake for 13-14 minutes in the preheated oven, until slightly risen and cooked through.
Recipe adapted from: https://www.superhealthykids.com/fruit-veggie-sheet-pan-pancakes-recipe/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.