Mornings can be busy at home and at school so what I like to do is prepare large batches of waffles and pancakes on the weekends and freeze them. Then I have an easy warm breakfast I can quickly prepare in the morning. Some schools prepare large quantities of waffles to have on hand for their Breakfast Clubs as well. Serving milk and fruit with your waffle can help to ensure you are having a balanced breakfast. Try this simple and healthy recipe at your KES Club or at home this week:
Healthy Strawberry Waffles
- 1 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup – flour, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 2 cup – strawberries
- 4 medium – egg
- 2 tablespoon – honey
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a blender, add strawberries (with stems removed), eggs and honey. Blend until smooth, then add to dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add the batter to a preheated waffle iron. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve with fresh berries and milk
Recipe sourced from: https://www.superhealthykids.com/strawberry-waffles/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.