The holiday season can be a busy time for most people, especially our KES Club volunteers who are busy ensuring our children have a healthy breakfast and getting things ready for the Holidays. Taking care of yourself and eating healthy during this time of year can be a challenge. Being prepared and thinking ahead is key to staying on track with healthy eating. The best way to ensure we do this is to plan ahead. Having our fridge, freezers and cupboards stocked with healthy foods is key. Having these items prepped and ready to go as always makes it much easier to grab a healthy meal and snack rather then fill up on treats at those holiday parties. Here are few tips you can use during the holiday season:
- Have fruits a veggies cut and ready to go in your fridge
- Have frozen and canned, fruits and vegetables on hand to easily add to meals
- Have meats cooked and prepared so they are easy to add to salads, wraps, meals
- Batch cooking of healthy meals on the weekends to have during the busy weekdays
- Ensure we have healthy meals before attending holiday events to make sure we don’t fill up on holiday treats
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.