With many families planning camping trips the summer here is a healthy meal to prepare for your supper time cook up. If you plan ahead and prepare your meals ahead of time it makes enjoying a healthy meal possible, even in the woods! Try this simple recipe at your next cook up. Even if you’re not camping trying this at home in your backyard fire pit can be a fun meal for the family to try!
The images were provided by our very own Registered Dietitian Janel Genge who hosted her own Cook Up in Alberta this past week.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4lbs Stewing Beef (no need to slice they cook up fine by time veggies are cookes))
- 4-6 Baby Potatoes, thinly sliced (more, no idea how many prob like 20, slice in half should be fine)
- ⅓ c BBQ sauce (didn’t use BBQ sauce)
- Other favorites to add (onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, cauliflower)
- Oil and Spice to taste
- Heat grill or if using your campfire, keep fire burning until temperature is quite hot.
- Cut 4 sheets of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around the beef and add-ins.
- Place thinly sliced stewing beef on each sheet of foil.
- Add baby potatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers. BBQ sauce, oil and spices and anything else you wish to add to each foil packet.
- Place foil packets on grill or in fire and cook 20-30 minutes or until beef is cooked through.
Recipe adapted from: http://www.homemadeinterest.com/cheddar-bbq-chicken-foil-packet-meal-camping-party/
Images sourced by: Janel Genge, RD Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.