Thanks to our friends at Egg Farmers of Canada and our National Partner, Breakfast Club of Canada, many of our KES Clubs will receive egg coupons this week. If you are trying to add creativity to the menu with your eggs and you do not want to serve the basic scrambled and boiled eggs, I found a great recipe you can try. These Breakfast Egg Muffins will be something students of all ages will want to try!
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 3-4 pieces whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces (enough to fill muffin tins almost to top)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp ground mustard (optional – careful of allergies)
- 1 tsp ground pepper (or more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease muffins tins well.
- Drop bread pieces evenly in muffin tins until they come about ⅔ of the way up the tin.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly in each tin.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, ground mustard, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture evenly in each muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through the middle.*Note: You can make these yummy muffins in bulk and freeze them for another time!
Recipe adapted from: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2010/01/easy-breakfast-casserole-muffins/
Janel Genge is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador