This overnight hearty oatmeal is a great way to prepare and plan your breakfast the day before, and it can be served cold or warm. Planning weekly or monthly menus at your Kids Eat Smart Club is key to ensuring you and your team of volunteers are prepared for the days and weeks ahead. Many of Club Coordinators create the menus then a group of volunteers are the “shoppers”. Working together at our KES Club is key, and dedicated volunteers plan their menus which is their way to budget and ensure a sustainable KES club. Try this Nutrition Month featured recipe in your Kids Eat Smart Club; we know the kids will love it.
Overnight Hearty Oatmeal
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 tsp (10 mL) honey
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup (250 mL) large flake oats
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh mixed berries
(blueberries, raspberries and
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together milk, yogurt, vanilla, honey, banana, and oats until well blended.
- Split in two and pour in two separate Mason jars. Top each jar with ½ cup (125mL) mixed berries. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. Enjoy! Tip: This recipe can be served warm as well. To enjoy hot, microwave for 1 minute with mason jar lid off.
For more Nutrition Month Recipes check out: www.nutritionmonth2019.ca
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart NL.