Along with Celebrating National Nutrition Month in March, we will also be celebrating World Water Day on March 22. Canada’s new food guide encourages water consumption as your drink of choice. We encourage all of our KES Clubs to have water available to drink each morning at breakfast club. Here are 5 ideas to ensure water is served at your breakfast club:
- Encourage kids to bring a water bottle to school
- Add fruits/vegetables to water for flavor (Orange, apple, cucumber, watermelon, etc.)
- Add fun ice cubes with frozen fruit
- Chat with the kids at breakfast club about the importance of water
- Issue a challenge to see how many glasses of water are consumed during Canada Water Week at your breakfast program
If you don’t serve water already at your KES Breakfast Club – try it out this month!
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.