Here at Kids Eat Smart NL we are so thrilled with the release of the new Canada’s Food Guide. One message that resonates with our KES Clubs is “Healthy eating is more than the foods you eat. It is also about where, when, why and how you eat.” We know the importance of kids starting their day not only with a healthy breakfast but with sharing a meal with their friends and teachers in a supportive environment. Kids are able to come to breakfast clubs at their schools all around Newfoundland and Labrador and enjoy a meal with friends, teachers and staff each morning. We know the benefit this offers to our kids and are proud to know the emphasis the new Canada’s Food Guide is putting on sharing meals together.
We are featuring a recipe this week from the new launch of Canada’s Food Guide.
• 250 mL (1 cup) whole wheat flour
• 125 mL (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
• 30 mL (2 tbsp) granulated sugar
• 10 mL (2 tsp) baking powder
• Pinch ground cinnamon
• 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) skim milk
• 1 egg
• 30 mL (2 tbsp) canola oil
• 10 mL (2 tsp) vanilla
• 250 mL (1 cup) diced fresh strawberries
1. In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat and all purpose flours, sugar,
baking powder and cinnamon.
2. In another bowl, whisk together milk with egg, oil and vanilla. Pour over flour
mixture and stir to combine. Stir in strawberries.
3. Spray griddle or nonstick skillet lightly with cooking spray. Heat over medium
heat. Using 60 mL (1/4 cup) measuring cup, pour batter onto hot griddle. Cook
for about 2 minutes or until bubbles start to appear on top. Flip over and cook
for another minute or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
Recipe sourced from: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/hc-sc/documents/services/canada-food-guide/tips-healthy-eating/meal-planning-cooking-healthy-choices/summer-lovin-strawberry-pancakes/strawberry-pancakes-eng.pdf
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart NL.