Many of our Kids Eat Smart Clubs are always looking for creative ways to serve a hot breakfast. Eggs are a great way to include protein in your KES Club menu. We get a generous from our National partner Breakfast Club of Canada from Egg Farmers of Canada for egg coupons each year. These coupons will be going out to our KES Clubs over the next couple of weeks. Try this easy recipe at your KES Club this week. Serve with a glass a milk and slice of whole wheat toast for a well balanced meal.
Ensure there are no egg allergies in your school before preparing.
Baked Breakfast Casserole
- 1 medium – bell pepper, green
- 1 medium – bell pepper, red
- 6 ounce – cheddar cheese
- 2 cup – ham, chopped
- 24 ounce – hash browns, frozen
- 6 large – egg
- 2 cup – egg white
- 2 cup – milk
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Dice peppers, grate cheese, and chop ham.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium. Add peppers; cook for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add to prepared baking dish and mix together with the hash browns, ham, and 1 cup of the cheese.
- In mixing bowl whisk eggs and liquid egg whites. Add milk and salt, whisk together.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies and ham. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes; removing the foil 15 minutes before finishing.
Recipe and image sourced from: https://www.superhealthykids.com/breakfast-casserole/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.