Sometimes our KES Club volunteers struggle with menu items they can easily serve, that are easy to grab and go and are nutritious. It’s easy to think of ways to serve fruits and vegetables if you are serving a meal to children where they have a place they can sit down and enjoy it. Unfortunately, this ideal situation is not possible for all our KES Clubs. We have many fantastic menu items at our KES Clubs that kids simply grab-and-go.
Below are some helpful hints on ways you can serve fruit and vegetables for your “grab-and-go” KES Club:
- Volunteers can pre-wash and prepare fruits and veggies such as grapes, orange slices, berries, carrots and celery and seal them in small baggies for the following day.
- Small fruits and vegetables can be placed in muffin liners or small cups so they are easy to carry.
- Serving fruits such as bananas, apples and clementines that are easy to grab and eat are great options.
- Fruit cups in its own juice or water, requires no prep and are a great grab-and-go option.
- If your KES Club has the facilities for storing foods, volunteers could make yogurt and berry (frozen) parfaits in disposable cups that the children can easily enjoy while walking to class.
- Cheese cubes cut up and placed on a napkin are also a great grab-and-go option.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with the Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.