For most of us, back to school means back to a regular routine. When preparing book bags and closets for back to school don’t forget your child’s lunch box along with your fridges, freezers and kitchen cupboards. Here are a few tips to stock up and stay on budget with easy healthy items for breakfast, recess and lunch on those busy school mornings.
- Prepare meals so that you have extra food on hand throughout the week. ie. make an extra batch of pancakes or French toast to freeze for breakfast, make large batches of soup or chili to freeze for lunches, and make large batches of pasta dishes with extra veggies to freeze for dinner.
- Pick up bulk fruits and veggies: prep them when you return from the grocery store and put them in small baggies or containers so that they are ready to go for breakfast and snacks.
- Purchase kid friendly (easy to open) containers for packing school lunches & recess.
- When packing recess and lunch think – 2 food groups for recess and 4 food groups for lunch.
- Ensure when packing lunches you keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot.
Try these few tips to be more prepared and organized for the school year to come.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.