Summer snacks are always a big one for kids – from When is snack time? to What are we having for snack? It’s important to ensure kids are well nourished with all the fun summertime activities keeping them busy each day. Including fruits and veggies with snacks is key as it allows kids to get more servings of fruits and veggies in throughout the day. A balanced snack includes 2 of the 4 food groups. As kids are growing, snacks are that much more important. This is a great snack to amp up your veggie intake this week:
All Veggie Nachos
- 3 bell peppers (a combination of yellow, red and orange), seeded and cut into triangles
- ¼ Cup light sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon lime juice
- 1 Persian cucumber, diced
- ½ Cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ avocado, diced
- 3 Tablespoons grated Mexican blended cheese
- Place the bell pepper “chips” on a plate.
- Whisk the sour cream and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the bell pepper “chips” with the sour cream sauce and the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocadoes, and cheese to form veggie nachos.
Crunch and enjoy!
Recipe & Images sourced from: https://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/all-veggie-nachos-recipe
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.