Pancake day is my favorite day of the year! Who doesn’t enjoy having breakfast for supper? Most kids love the fun of getting either a toy, money or a special treat in their pancakes today. Why not combine your Pancake Day with Valentines Day tonight and serve these healthy pancakes in heart shapes. Try serving them up tomorrow as well as a special Valentines treat at your KES Club. Serve with red fruit and milk to ensure it’s a festive and a balanced breakfast.
Healthy Valentines Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana, mashed
- Place the rolled oats into the jar of a blender and blend until the texture resembles coarse flour. Whisk together the blended oats, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, dry milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Let the batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by large spoonful’s onto the griddle, and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip, and cook until browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
Recipe sourced from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/166601/whole-wheat-oatmeal-and-banana-pancakes/