A lot of times we don’t think of serving vegetables at breakfast, but why not! Serving veggies at breakfast helps to ensure we are getting our recommended servings of veggies each day. You can try these at home or if your KES Club has access to a kitchen with stoves this a great option for baking a warm treat for your club.
Fruit & Veggie Sheet Pan Pancakes
- 1/4 cup – butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup – zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated – carrot
- 2/3 cup – milk
- 1/2 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 large – egg
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 1/2 medium – banana
- 1/2 cup – strawberries
- 1/2 cup – blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425* F. Cover a 10×15 inch sheet pan in foil. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a microwave safe dish and brush half of it over the foil, coating evenly.
- In a medium bowl, pour the remaining half of the melted butter (2 tablespoons). Grate half a cup each of zucchini and carrot and add to the butter. Also add milk, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add this mixture to the wet mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour the pancake batter into the prepared sheet pan and even the batter out. Top with half a banana, cut into thin slices, as well as 1 total cup of berries (we used half strawberry, cut into slices, and half blueberry).
- Bake for 13-14 minutes in the preheated oven, until slightly risen and cooked through.
Recipe sourced from: https://www.superhealthykids.com/fruit-veggie-sheet-pan-pancakes-recipe/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.