We are so excited to see more and more of our KES Clubs adding veggies to their Club Menus! Ensuring we eat enough fruits and veggies in the run of a day can sometimes be challenging. When we include both fruits and veggies with every meal it’s easier to meet our recommended servings each day. A lot of our KES Clubs offer vegetables once or twice a week to change up the common offering of fruit. Serving different types of vegetables allows children that aren’t big veggie eaters to try foods they sometimes are not offered at home. An easy method to offer veggies is by serving whole cut veggies with plain yogurt or dip on your breakfast table, another great way is making an easy breakfast burrito if facilities provide. Here is a great recipe to try:
Breakfast Burrito Bites
- 1 teaspoon – olive oil
- 3 tablespoon – bell pepper, red
- 3 large – egg
- 1 tablespoon – water
- 2 medium – tortilla, whole wheat
- Add oil to a medium skillet and heat.
- Chop bell pepper and add to skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Whisk together eggs and water; add to same skillet. Cook but do not scramble.
- Move eggs inward until cooked through, then flip so you have a large “fried egg”.
- Cut into quarters; place one section of egg onto each tortilla, add peppers, then roll up.
- Cut cross-ways like sushi.
Recipe sourced from: http://www.superhealthykids.com/finger-food-breakfast-burrito-bites/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.