How are Breakfast Clubs
adapting and meeting
COVID19 Safety Protocols?
Continuing to provide access to food at school,
at no cost to families.
At Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador, we are proud to provide support and expertise to schools as they adapt to their breakfast programs while following public health protocols throughout the pandemic.
Following the new Grab & Go, and basket delivery to the classroom models, school administrators and staff have stepped up to ensure that all 260 Kids Eat Smart Clubs are operational. Because of their support, school aged children across the province continue to be provided with the nutrition they need to learn, to grow, and be their very best.
*Photo courtesy of French Shore Academy, Port Saunders
We provide our Kids Eat Smart Breakfast Clubs with food safety guidelines to assist in following public health directives related to COVID19. Some highlights are as follows:
- Handwashing for all is required before and after students eat, after using the washroom, returning from break, before and after removing disposable gloves.
- Disposable gloves should always be worn when handling food; change your gloves when you change your task.
- Work areas must be kept clean and sanitized.
- During COVID, disposables will and can be used.
- Keep cold food cold and warm food warm.
- Various guidelines have been developed for each delivery model (grab & go, baskets to classroom), all of which comply with applicable protocols and help minimize food handling, i.e. food that comes individually packaged or portion it out and wrap it in advance.
- Continue to follow school policies surrounding food allergies or dietary restrictions carefully.
*Photo courtesy of A.P. Low Primary, Labrador City
Our Kids Eat Smart Breakfast Clubs will continue to be there for children, to provide them with access to food at school at no cost to families. If you would like to support your local breakfast club, visit www.kidseatsmart.ca.