With the many Holiday parties this season there is often times we are asked to bring along food! Try these healthy holiday pita tree appetizers this week. Have the kids help get them together in the kitchen. These can be a fun and festive addition to any holiday party.
Pita Tree Appetizers
- 4 Whole Wheat plain pita folds or pita (pocket) breads (about 6 inches in diameter)
- 16 thin pretzel sticks, halved
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic-pepper blend
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped red bell pepper
Cut each pita fold into 8 wedges. Insert pretzel stick half into center of bottom of each wedge to form “tree trunk.”
In small bowl, mix sour cream, guacamole, parsley and garlic-pepper blend. Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream mixture on each pita wedge.
Blot bell pepper with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon bell pepper on each wedge or arrange to form a garland. If desired, cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours before serving.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.