When planning your summer road trip sometimes the last thing we think to pack is healthy snacks. It’s important to think ahead and have them packed and ready to go. This will help you avoid stopping for unhealthier snacks along the way. Here are some simple ideas that won’t need much effort to pack – all you’ll need is a few reusable containers, some ice packs and a small cooler or insulated bag to keep foods fresh and safe.
Summer Road Trip Snacks:
- Carrots with low fat ranch dip
- Hard Cheese and grapes
- Yogurt tubes and apple slices
- Homemade trail mix (raisins, almonds, peanuts, shreddies, with a few chocolate chips for a treat)
- Pre-popped low fat popcorn and celery sticks with peanut butter
- Fruit cups packed in water with whole grain crackers
- Lots of Lots of Water!!!
Having these foods on hand in a small cooler in the back seat will allow you to provide healthy snacks for your kids when they get hungry.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.