Having things ready to go over the summer for the kids to run out the door and play will be key to ensuring they are getting the nutrition they need. Have these easy freezer smoothie packs stored in the freezer for easy access to a delicious breakfast. The only preparation you will need is to portion out greek or regular yogurt into ice cube trays and freeze beforehand to add to your frozen berry blends!
All you’ll need:
- 1/2 banana, cut up into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt, frozen (about 2 frozen cubes)
- 1 cup mixed frozen fruit (mangoes, pineapple, strawberries)
- 1 cup spinach packed
- 1 to 1 & 1/4 cup water OR milk (cow, almond, coconut, whatever kind you like)
- In a zip-top sandwich bag, add banana pieces, frozen yogurt cubes, and mixed frozen fruit. Squeeze out the air and zip the bag shut. Place in freezer. Repeat for additional packs.
- To prepare: Pour 1 to 1; 1/4 cup water or milk in a blender. Add one frozen smoothie pack and blend until smooth, adding extra water or milk if desired to preferred consistency.
Yield: 1 smoothie pack makes one 2-cup smoothie
Image and recipe sourced from: http://www.superhealthykids.com/freezer-smoothie-packs/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation NL.