The holiday season can bring many family dinners and parties and with that comes lots and lots of food. Getting your family to eat healthy during the holidays can be hard. If we ensure healthy eating is a part of our lifestyle all year long it’s an easier task to tackle.
Here are some smart substitutions for your favorite holiday meals at home and at your KES Club:
- Instead of butter, substitute no sugar added applesauce
- Use a lower calorie sugar substitute
- Substitute low fat milk instead of whole or heavy cream
- Instead of adding chocolate chips or candies, use dried fruit, like cranberries or cherries
- Use vegetable oils instead of butter
- Use whole grain breads and pastas instead of white
- Bake, grill or steam vegetables instead of frying
- Compare labels of your holiday ingredients, choose lower sodium
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.