What could be nicer then a hot nutritious breakfast to enjoy on these cold mornings! Enjoy this recipe at your KES Club or at home with a glass of milk for a balanced breakfast!
Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans for garnish; if desired (if no nut allergies)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat butter until melted. Add steel cut oats and stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add hot water and apple cider and stir, bringing to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to low; cook oats for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in chopped apples and maple syrup. Continue cooking, uncovered for 15 minutes, or until oats thicken to your desired texture.
- Serve immediately and garnish with pecans, if desired. (if no nut allergies)
Recipe adapted from: http://www.breakfastforlearning.ca/beforethebell/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.