http://www.kidseatsmart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KidsEatSmartColour_Logo_340x156-300x138.png 0 0 admin http://www.kidseatsmart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KidsEatSmartColour_Logo_340x156-300x138.png admin2015-10-13 18:31:562015-10-13 18:31:56Whole Grain Pumpkin Pancakes!
Fall is certainly in the air and with that comes plenty and plenty of pumpkins!! There are so many reasons to love pumpkin (even all year long!). Pumpkin are a great source of:
- Vitamin A- helping support skin health in kids
- Fiber- helping kids stay regular
- Vitamin C- of course, helping kids to build a strong immunity
- B vitamins- helps to give kids the energy they need
Try this breakfast recipe in your KES Club or at home this week!
Whole Grain Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1 teaspoon – pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon – salt
- 1 medium – banana
- 1/2 cup – pumpkin, canned
- 1/4 cup – maple syrup, pure
- 3 large – egg
- 3 tablespoon – coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup – almond milk, unsweetened
- First, spray a large nonstick pan with coconut oil cooking spray (or butter) and heat to medium heat.
- Next, mix together dry ingredients in a medium-size bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash banana until liquidy. Then, add in eggs, pumpkin, maple syrup, and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and mix.
- Finally add in melted coconut oil and mix until smooth. If your batter feels too thin, add in a few tablespoons of flour and if it feels too thick, add in a few tablespoons of almond milk.
- Scoop a heaping ¼ cup of the batter onto your pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
time: 20 minutes yields: 12 medium pancakes
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador