http://www.kidseatsmart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KidsEatSmartColour_Logo_340x156-300x138.png 0 0 admin http://www.kidseatsmart.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/KidsEatSmartColour_Logo_340x156-300x138.png admin2015-08-25 18:18:222015-08-25 18:18:22Zucchini Boat Recipe
Sometimes getting kids to try new vegetables can be a tough task. Making recipes fun for the kids can encourage them to eat new foods. Have them help out in the kitchen to put this simple nutritious recipe together.
Simple Zucchini Boat Recipe with Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
- 2 medium – zucchini
- 1 dash – salt
- 1 dash – black pepper, ground
- 2 medium – tomato, red
- 1/4 teaspoon – oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon – vinegar, cider
- 5 ounce – mozzarella cheese, part skim milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line rimmed baking sheet or baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cut the zucchinis down the middle, length-wise, and scoop out the seeds and flesh (save for another purpose), leaving about 1/2 an inch of the zucchini shell. Lay the zucchini halves, cut sides up, in the baking pan and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Remove the seeds and chop the tomatoes small. Add the oregano, vinegar, and more salt and pepper to taste to the tomatoes and then divide the tomatoes evenly among the zucchini.
- Bake the tomato stuffed zucchini until the zucchini is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Slice the mozzarella thin and then tear it into 1 inch pieces. Place on top of the tomatoes.
- Broil the mozzarella until it starts to bubble and brown just a bit, taking care no to burn it. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Recipe Sourced from: http://www.superhealthykids.com/
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with the Kids Eat Smart Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.