Kids can join in on supper on most days by doing simple tasks. This recipe allows them to create their own pizza using toppings only they like! Making pizza at home can be a healthier choice then ordering out. The concern with take out items is they usually serve foods that are higher in fat and sodium levels. While creating a common take out item at home you can control exactly what items to put on your pizzas and load up those veggies to ensure we are getting plenty of fibre. All you need is pita rounds, cheese, sauce and toppings!
Choosing items such as the following for toppings can ensure fat and sodium content is kept a minimum:
- Whole wheat pita rounds for added fibre
- Low sodium pizza or pasta sauce
- Skinless chicken breast cooked and shredded into pieces
- Lots of veggies and even fruit – peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, olives, pineapple
- Low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
Have kids make their own pizzas and parents can take care of placing in the oven.
Image sourced from: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16431/pita+bread+pizzas
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.