Summer is just getting started and that means so are the festive backyard barbeques! Ensuring we eat healthy on summer holidays can be a hard task for many of us, especially kids. It’s important to plan ahead and try eating a healthy well-balanced meal prior to the party or be eat smart while snacking at the party by loading up on fruits, veggies and salads to curb those cravings. If you know there will be lots of sweets at the party, bring your own tray of fun and colorful fruits and veggies!
This is a delicious and nutritious summer salad to bring to your Canada Day Party or your next summer barbeque!
Loaded Broccoli Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 4 cup flowerets – Broccoli, Florets
- 4 fruit – Clementines
- 1 fruit (3-3/4″ dia) – grapefruit
- 1/2 cup, sliced – almonds
- 1 cup – blueberries
- 3 slice cooked – Bacon
- 1/2 medium – avocado
- 1/4 cup – orange juice
- 1 tablespoon – honey
- 1 tbsp – rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon – coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon – Poppy seeds
- Chop broccoli into bite size pieces.
- Peel clementines and grapefruit into sections.
- In a bowl combine the broccoli, clementines and grapefruit sections, sliced almonds, and blueberries.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except bacon) into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over salad ingredients and toss well to combine.
- Crumble bacon and sprinkle on the salad.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.