Enjoying a meal out with the family can be a treat every so often. Sometimes it’s hard to stay on track while we are enjoying our meal out. Here a few quick tips to keep in mind when eating out:
1. Design it yourself – Choose whole grain, extra veggies, low fat milk products, low fat sauce or dressings. (Kids love to dip).
2. Salad savvy – Ask for salad dressing on the side, choose leafy green salads and skip the croutons and bacon bits.
3. Drink smart – Water is the best choice to quench your thirst; choose water or milk with your meal when eating out. (Kids love to eat from fancy straws so ask your server if they have one).
4. Breakfast basics – Choose healthier options such as oatmeal, fruit and yogurt cups or whole grain bagels with peanut butter.
5. Fill up on fibre – Choose menu items made with whole grain breads, lots of vegetables or fruit, and legumes.
6. Desserts – Fresh fruit, plain frozen yogurts and sorbet are healthier options.
7. Get the facts – Ask for nutrition facts at the restaurant before you order, most restaurants also have them online so you can decide what you want before you go and be the first to order!
Information sourced from: www.dietitians.ca
Kristin Hedges is a Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation.