February is a month not only filled with love but with getting our minds on track with our hearts! Thinking about foods more wisely can help our hearts in the long run. These are few steps you and your family can take to be more heart healthy all year round:
Steps You Can Take:
1. Eat a variety of foods recommended in Canada’s Food Guide and follow the suggested number of servings for your age in all the food groups.
2. Select your fat sources wisely.
3. Limit intake of sweetened food and beverages that can replace healthier food.
4. Eat whole grains and food high in dietary fibre.
5. Eat lots of vegetables and fruits.
6. Prepare foods using healthy cooking methods such as baking, poaching, steaming, broiling, roasting and stir frying in small amounts of unsaturated oil or fat.
7. Read food labels carefully.
8. Use low fat cooking methods such as: baking, steaming, roasting and stir frying in small amounts of oil and fat.
Kristin Hedges is a Registered Dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation