For most children throughout the province, tomorrow marks the first day of the school year, an exciting day for most. We want to wish all of the children attending Kids Eat Smart Clubs a very healthy and successful school year. That being said, to gain success this school year children need to be well nourished and prepared for the school day ahead, they need breakfast!
Here are some quick breakfast ideas that you can use at home or in your Kids Eat Smart Club:
- Fruit smoothies made with Greek yogurt and fresh or frozen berries and add a splash of 100% juice.
- Egg burritos made with whole grain wraps. Prepare scrambled eggs the night before and refrigerate.
- Egg sandwich on whole grain English muffins. Again, you can prepare eggs in advance.
- Mini muffins made with whole grain flour and berries of choice.
- Whole grain waffle topped with peanut butter and some dried berries.
- Homemade trail mix (dry cereal, granola, dried berries, almonds).
- Boiled eggs. You can boil a batch of eggs for a day or two and keep them refrigerated.
Add some fruit, piece of hard cheese and milk to any of the above to create a well balanced breakfast.
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador