Summer is almost half over, but many of us are still heading out on the road early mornings for vacations, family reunions and other summer activities. Getting out of bed super early is not an easy task, and getting your children to wake can be even more difficult. With such a scramble to get on the road it’s likely that eating breakfast at home is the last thing you or your children have time to do….so, breakfast on the road it is!
Instead of stopping in a coffee shop or convenience store, try making some healthy breakfast items the night before. Don’t forget that you still want the kids to enjoy whatever you decide to make, so don’t prepare something too boring. Below are some great breakfast ideas for your next road trip, that can be ready for the morning so all you need to do is grab them…and go!
- Homemade banana or berry mini muffins
- Dry cereal in baggies
- Baggie of cubed cheese
- Yogurt or frozen yogurt tubes (less messy for in the vehicle)
- Fresh fruit sliced in individual baggies so that everyone can have their own
- Homemade breakfast sandwich or breakfast burritos (cook some mini veggie omelets or scrambled eggs the night before, add to English muffin or whole grain wrap, sprinkle some shredded cheese and other toppings of choice, then wrap in saran wrap….warm for a few seconds before heading out the door in the morning)
- Milk, juice or water in insulated water bottles
*Please remember, that if any items need to be kept cool to bring along a small cooler with some ice packs.
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador