It’s easy to think of ways to serve fruits and vegetables if you are serving a meal to children where they have a place they can set down and enjoy it. Unfortunately, this ideal situation is not possible for all our KES Clubs. If your KES Club is a “grab-and-go” Club we do still recommend that you serve fruits and vegetables to the students on a daily basis.
Below are some helpful hints on ways you can serve fruit and vegetables for your “grab-and-go” club:
- Volunteers can pre-wash and prepare fruits and veggies such as grapes, orange slices, berries, carrots and celery and seal them in small baggies for the following day.
- Small fruits and vegetables can be placed in muffin liners or Dixie cups so they are easy to carry.
- Serving fruits such as bananas, apples and Clementine’s that are easy to grab and eat are great options.
- Fruit cups in its own juice or water, requires no prep and are a great grab-and-go option.
- If the Club has the facilities for storing foods, volunteers could make yogurt and berry (frozen) parfaits in disposable cups that the children can easily enjoy while walking to class.
I hope these suggestions will allow the children of your KES Club enjoy more fruits and veggies….enjoy!!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador