Over the holidays there will be many family gatherings, which will likely always include some delicious food! Not sure what to do with your leftovers from your Christmas Eve Brunch, Christmas Day Dinner or New Years Dinner? Below are some healthy ways to use your leftovers this holiday season:
- Leftover turkey:
- turkey vegetable soup
- cold turkey sandwiches
- turkey wrap
- top a delicious salad with some turkey
- Leftover rice
- add to a homemade burrito
- make a stir-fry of vegetables and add your leftover rice
- Leftover appetizers such as cheese and meats
- freeze cheese
- add cheese to your wrap or sandwich
- make a homemade sub or sandwich with leftover meats
*If any of the foods that you have leftover can be frozen and you won’t be using them, freeze it right away and take it out when you want it.
Enjoy all the delicious meals this Holiday season and keep in mind….Everything in Moderation!!
Wishing you all a wonderful Holiday and a Safe and Healthy 2014!!
Janel Genge is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador