Healthy eating begins at home, so it is important that children are encouraged to eat a proper balanced diet. It’s all about getting the kids involved in the process!
- Involve children in grocery shopping and planning their lunch
- Inform teachers and volunteers of any food intolerance/allergies that your child may have
- Put a secret note, sticker, or cartoon with lunch. Everyone enjoys a surprise!
- Be a role model. Set an example by trying new foods yourself.
- Promote a healthy attitude towards eating and exercise.
As the saying always goes “Monkey See Monkey Do” if parents enjoying healthy habits at home kids usually like to mimic what they see. Healthy habits needs to be a household event!
Kristin Harris is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.