Sugar overload on any holiday is easy, but Valentine’s Day is one that is particularly heavy on sweets and giant heart-shaped boxes of chocolate. On top of being the month of love, February is also Heart Month—so what better way to show your tiny tots you love them than by showing them desserts can be both tasty and healthy.
This recipe, from the blog Chef Mommy, is perfect for any Valentine’s event – and a great one that your kids can help out with (see our earlier post Kids can help make nutritious meals too!). Pack it in some Tupperware containers and send to school with your kids for the class to enjoy during party time.
Heart Shaped Cinnamon Crisps with Fresh Fruit Salad in a Poppy Seed Dressing
- Fresh fruit, chopped (strawberries, melons, grapes etc…)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/8 tsp. poppy seeds
- Combine all fruit in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, sugar, and poppy seeds.
- Add to fruit and stir to coat fruit evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Ingredients & supplies:
- whole wheat flour tortillas
- vegetable cooking spray (or water)
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- heart shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Cut out hearts in tortilla’s and place the tortilla cut-outs onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Lightly spray with the cooking spray or water, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix.
- Bake for 6-8 min.
- Cool and serve with the fruit salsa.
Kristin Harris is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.