Summer is a great time to enjoy picnics with the kids. As I think back on my favorite childhood picnic memories, eating egg sandwiches on homemade bread at the beach come to mind. I also remember my mom packing egg sandwiches for our summer trip across the island to visit my grandparents. We would find a scenic stop along the way and pull over to stretch our legs, enjoy the fresh air, and eat.
Moms are smart. Eggs are both economical and nutritious. At an average price of about $0.27 each, a large egg provides six grams of complete protein, which means eggs have all 11 essential amino acids needed to keep your body in good working order. Another great thing about eggs is that they are produced right here in our own province. Pair a local boiled mashed egg with buttered homemade whole wheat bread and you are in for a deliciously nutritious picnic.
Here is my mom’s whole wheat bread recipe. I make it every week, and my daughter loves to help.
Mom’s Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 pkg Bread and Roll Mix
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup natural bran
- ½ cup ground flax
- 4 cups hot water
- ¼ cup molasses
- Empty ½ of the Bread and Roll Mix into a large bowl.
- Stir in yeast.
- Mix in whole wheat flour, natural bran, and ground flax.
- Stir in water and molasses.
- Gradually stir in remaining Bread and Roll Mix and knead until no longer sticky
(You may not need all the remaining Bread and Roll Mix. I sometimes have about ½ cup remaining).
- Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into four equal parts. Kneed each into a long roll and place in a greased bread pan.
- Let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 375C.
- Remove from pans, grease loaf top with butter, and let cool on cooling rack before storing in sealed bags.
Lori Warford-Woolgar, MSc, RD is a registered dietitian with Kids Eat Smart Foundation Newfoundland and Labrador.